Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Semi-sweet Peppermint Bark

Pin It



This week I made semi-sweet peppermint bark for the 52 Weeks of Pinterest Link-Up. This is a very simple recipe that anyone can make. 


First, break up the candy canes by placing them in a plastic baggie between 2 dish cloths. 
You can use a rolling pin or a hammer. A hammer seemed to work much better for me. 


Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate. Add water to the bottom pot making sure the water does not touch the top pot. Bring to a boil. Chocolate should melt in about 5 minutes.



Add the crushed candy canes to the melted chocolate. At this point, you can add peppermint extract. I've been adding it to my coffee in the morning and a little bit goes a LONG way, so be careful not to put in too much. I didn't add any, so it didn't have a big peppermint taste. 


Next, pour mixture onto parchment paper on top of a cookie sheet. Unfortunately, it's not very pretty right now since the candy canes are stirred into the chocolate. Don't worry. We'll fix that. 


Add pretty decorations as you please. I added more candy canes and some red & green sprinkles (to make them more holiday-esque). 


Put the entire cookie sheet in the freezer to harden (about 5-10 minutes depending on how thick your chocolate ended up being). After the chocolate is hard, break into pieces and voila! You have delicious semi-sweet peppermint bark for holiday parties...or yourself. 

Like I said, without the peppermint extract, they're very chocolatey and less of a peppermint flavor. But, hey, they were easy, cheap, and extremely delicious. :)



ENJOY! -KB

Link up!


2 comments:

  1. Who said to add peppermint on top??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't felt up to any elaborate baking, but this looks like something I could handle - or perhaps even delegate to my teenager! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

 

kiss, laugh, & dream | Copyright © 2012 | Powered by Blogger | Blog Designed By Little Homemade Designs